We all want to improve educational achievement in the district. Learning starts at birth and continues for life – inside and outside formal education. So the changes we need can’t happen unless we all work together.
We are proposing a Bradford Education Covenant to set out what we can all do to improve education – as a council, as schools, as businesses, as individuals, as a community and with government support. We want everyone in the district to take part in the Covenant, so we need you to tell us what you think is important and what needs to change.
What we will offer
As a local authority we pledge to:
- keep schools and education a top priority
- challenge and support schools to rapidly improve
- make better use of top schools and headteachers by spreading their best practice
- recruit, retain and develop high quality teachers and headteachers
- work with national government to provide enough school places
- strongly support families and children in the early years to ensure all children are school ready
- work closely with businesses to get young people ready for work and life
- make full use of the district’s unique cultural and creative learning opportunities for young people.
What we ask
We are asking for the following support:
- Parents – access a nursery place; read to your young child every day; support your child’s education in every way possible on a daily basis
- Young people – take responsibility for your own education by making the most of all learning opportunities – take control of your future
- Schools – take part in active partnerships and share resources and expertise with each other to drive forward improvements; take rapid action to maintain the highest standards in all areas of school life; support students in pursuing career opportunities
- Businesses and employers – get involved with Industrial Centres of Excellence or Bradford Pathways; establish links with local schools; encourage your staff to be reading volunteers or school governors
- Local people – contribute to young people’s clubs and activities in the community; be reading volunteers or school governors
- Government – provide sufficient funding for school places; provide funding and support for our district’s education improvement drive; support us to attract more top teachers and headteachers.
You can read more about the Covenant on our website.
What do you think?
If you have any thoughts or ideas, tell us in the comments below or email firstname.lastname@example.org.